The human body has over 200 different bones. And when you look at bones, we all look very similar. Bones and skulls are very trendy in our fashion. I’ve gone to buy shirts, and they hide those skulls in the design. They’re everywhere. Some people get a skull and crossbones tattoo. In this spooky Bible story, God uses a bunch of bones to teach His truth and give His people hope for the future.
God gave Ezekiel a vision of a Hopeless Situation.
The Lord took hold of me, and I was carried away by the Spirit of the Lord to a valley filled with bones. He led me all around among the bones that covered the valley floor. They were scattered everywhere across the ground and were completely dried out.
Then He asked me, “Son of man, can these bones become living people again?” “O Sovereign Lord,” I replied, “you alone know the answer to that.” Ezekiel 37:1-3
Our Hopeless Situation can change with a little Truth Amplification…
Then he said to me, “Speak a prophetic message to these bones and say, ‘Dry bones, listen to the word of the Lord! This is what the Sovereign Lord says: Look! I am going to put breath into you and make you live again! I will put flesh and muscles on you and cover you with skin. I will put breath into you, and you will come to life. Then you will know that I am the Lord.’” Ezekiel 37:4-6
God’s word is alive and working and is sharper than a double-edged sword. It cuts all the way into us, where the soul and the spirit are joined, to the center of our joints and bones. Hebrews 4:12
Which leads to Life Activation…
So I spoke this message, just as he told me. Suddenly as I spoke, there was a rattling noise all across the valley. The bones of each body came together and attached themselves as complete skeletons. Then as I watched, muscles and flesh formed over the bones. Then skin formed to cover their bodies, but they still had no breath in them. Ezekiel 37:7-8
Which can lead to Spiritual Transformation…
Then He said to me, “Speak a prophetic message to the winds, son of man. Speak a prophetic message and say, ‘This is what the Sovereign Lord says: Come, O breath, from the four winds! Breathe into these dead bodies so they may live again.’” So I spoke the message as He commanded me, and breath came into their bodies. They all came to life and stood up on their feet—a great army. Ezekiel 37:9-10
New life happens when you receive Jesus and you’re filled with God’s Spirit!
And we have received God’s Spirit (not the world’s spirit), so we can know the wonderful things God has freely given us.1 Corinthians 2:12
And when we receive Jesus, we also receive Eternal Salvation!
This is what the Sovereign Lord says: O my people, I will open your graves and cause you to rise again. When this happens, O my people, you will know that I am the Lord. I will put my Spirit in you, and you will live again. Ezekiel 37:13-14
What’s your hopeless situation?
- Is your marriage falling apart?
- Are you struggling financially?
- Are your kids drifting away from you or from God?
- Did you get a bad report from the doctor?
- Are you single and can’t find a partner?
- Are you dealing with an addiction you just can’t shake?
Your hopeless situation isn’t as hopeless as you think! God can bring it back to life! On your own, these situations may be hopeless. But with God, there’s always hope! Whatever your hopeless situation may be, offer it up to God today. You can have life, from now until forever if you give your life to Jesus.
You were dead because of your sins and because your sinful nature was not yet cut away. Then God made you alive with Christ, for He forgave all our sins. Colossians 2:13
TALK IT OUT QUESTIONS:
- What little things can raise your spirit on an unhappy day?
- How does it make you feel when you see a skeleton (either fake or… real)?
- Read Ezekiel 37:2-4. Imagine a valley full of dry bones. Why is it significant that they are dry?
- Read Ezekiel 37, verse 5, 9, and 14. The Hebrew language uses the word ruach for the words: wind, breath, and spirit. How are these three words related?
- Read Ezekiel 37: 7-8, 10. What are the 2 steps used to raise these dead bones? Why not do it all at once?
- Read Ezekiel 37:11. What is God telling them about the future of Israel? Of people? Of humanity?
- How would you describe your life these days? Dry bones, No backbone, In the flesh, Standing tall, etc.
- How has God raised you from “the dead”? When and how did it happen?