All couples fight because everyone is imperfect. You can’t put two imperfect people together and have a perfect relationship.
- Healthy couples fight right. Unhealthy couples fight dirty.
- Healthy couples fight FOR their marriage, Unhealthy couples fight IN and ABOUT their marriage.
- Healthy couples fight for resolution. Unhealthy couples fight for personal victory.
Understand this, my dear brothers and sisters: You must all be quick to listen, slow to speak, and slow to get angry. James 1:19
Fools have no interest in understanding; they only want to air their own opinions. Proverbs 18:2
Mirroring Communication Strategy: Repeat back or rephrase what has just been said for clarification. Then, once you understand what has been said, verbally validate their feelings.
Watch your tongue and keep your mouth shut, and you will stay out of trouble. Proverbs 21:23
Better to be patient than powerful; better to have self-control than to conquer a city. Proverbs 16:32
Use the THINK method!
Ask, is it: True, Helpful, Inspiring, Necessary, and Kind
2 Marital Check-up Questions
- What are three things I do that bless you?
- What are three things I could do that would be an even a bigger blessing to you?
Life-Hacks for Constructive Conflict
- Never call negative names.
- Never raise your voice.
- Never get historical.
- Never say never or always.
- Never threaten divorce.
- Never quote your pastor.
3) RESPOND Correctly.
You are responsible for how you respond.
And don’t sin by letting anger control you. Don’t let the sun go down while you are still angry, for anger gives a foothold to the devil. Ephesians 4:26-27
Unresolved conflict gets worse with time, not better.
4 Signs You’re Losing the Fight
There is Hope!
Jesus looked at them intently and said, “Humanly speaking, it is impossible. But with God everything is possible.” Matthew 19:26
© Voyagerix | Dreamstime.com – Wedding couple. Bride boxing groom. Conflict.