The Annual Run for the Love of It 5k is happening on the morning of February 11th, 2017 starting at 8am. This fun run features a chip-timed run or walk, a kid’s dash, bounce houses for the kids, and the best refuel station in Central Texas. You will also get a cool moisture-wicking event shirt (if you registered early) to keep so you’ll remember this race all year long. But the best part of the run is that it makes a difference, with the proceeds going towards Global Missions in places like Guatemala and Haiti.
You might be thinking, the only time you’re going to see me running is if someone is chasing after me! But maybe there’s something in you that’s also saying you would like to give it a try and see if you could finish the 5k run or walk, which is 3.1 miles. If you want to give it a shot, here are 6 of my best practices to make it a great time and a BIG WIN!
1. Get your mind in gear. It all starts with a CAN-DO attitude! You’ll never do anything if you’ve already decided you can’t do it. Can’t never could! Instead, imagine yourself getting up, getting into the crowd of runners, and taking those first steps. Then picture yourself crossing the finish line in victory! With a positive outlook, you will start to find the motivation you need to make it happen.
2. Enlist a buddy. There’s no need to do this all by yourself. There may be someone else who is just waiting for you to ask them to be a part of this experience. Together, you can go even farther than you thought. You and your friend can encourage each other when you start to get tired to keep pressing on. You can even join the race as a team. If you want to join my team, just choose Faster Pastor in the registration process! Everything is more fun with a partner, so make the big ask and sign up together.
3. Go for a few walks or runs. We are in one of the nicest times of the year to get outside and enjoy the fresh air. It doesn’t matter how fast or really how far you go, as long as you’re getting out, moving those legs, and getting your body ready for the 5k.
4. Get a playlist ready. For me, this is one of the top priorities. You want some tunes that will get you pumped up and inspire you to keep going. The right song at the right time can make all the difference. With a good playlist, you won’t need to be clicking through your phone while you run, which can be really distracting and dangerous. Set it up and forget it so you can focus on running.
5. Get some sleep on the night before. You can shoot yourself in the foot by staying up too late the night before the run. Make sure you set a reminder to get in bed on Friday the 10th so you can get 8 hours of sleep and be rested up and raring to go in the morning. You don’t want to be late, because when the starting whistle blows, it’s time to move whether you’re ready or not.
6. Fuel up in the morning. You don’t want to run on an empty stomach. So plan on eating a light breakfast that gives you the energy you need. I usually have a breakfast taco and a delicious glass of grapefruit juice. Maybe for you, a slice of toast, or some cereal would do the trick. If you go with the taco, be sure to keep it light and not too greasy, you don’t want that sloshing around in your stomach while you’re trying to run. We also have a great refuel station with all kinds of healthy nutritious treats you can enjoy after the run.
Prizes will be awarded in many categories after the race is finished. Now, if you’re ready to register online, you can get signed up right now for only $25 per runner at https://www.athleteguild.com/running/buda-tx/2017-run-for-the-love-of-it. On your mark, get set, GO! Get registered!