Have you ever been innocently browsing the interwebs and stumbled across a shocking, unbelievable claim designed to raise your curiosity and cause you to click through to an article or video? Usually, they include phrases like, “You won’t believe what happened next…” or “Reason 5 will blow your mind!” These links, commonly called Clickbait, capture our attention and lead us to discover more about whatever is on the other side of the link.
In the Bible, Jesus said some very shocking things. Some of the most shocking statements of Jesus include:
- I came not to bring peace, but a sword. (Matthew 10:34)
- So those who are last now will be first then, and those who are first will be last. (Matthew 20:16)
- If someone slaps you on the right cheek, offer the other cheek also. (Matthew 5:39)
- If you call someone an idiot, you are in danger of being brought before the court. And if you curse someone, you are in danger of the fires of hell. (Matthew 5:22)
- It is easier for a camel to go through the eye of a needle than for a rich person to enter the Kingdom of God! (Matthew 19:24)
- But anyone who eats my flesh and drinks my blood has eternal life, and I will raise that person at the last day. (John 6:54)
Yes, those statements are shocking! But the meaning that they have is so good when you look just beyond the surface. He said, “If you want to find life, you must lose your life,” and, “If your eye causes you to sin, then gouge it out.” However, when you examine what those outrageous statements mean, you will find that Jesus always delivers even more than we expect.
In our newest message series, Clickbait, we are going to dive deeper into the shocking statements of Jesus to discover what Jesus meant and how applying these truths to our lives, we can be radically changed.