The Best Life: Week 2
The Promise of Provision
The Most Comprehensive Promise in the Bible:
And this same God who takes care of me will supply all your needs from His glorious riches, which have been given to us in Christ Jesus. Philippians 4:19
The BIG IDEA: I live my Best Life when I Unleash Generosity.
Jesus put it this way: “Give, and you will receive. Your gift will return to you in full—pressed down, shaken together to make room for more, running over, and poured into your lap. The amount you give will determine the amount you get back.” Luke 6:38
When we live with open hands instead of closed fists, we are positioning ourselves to receive even more from God. He is the one who supplies everything to us in the first place!
What Good is My Giving?
My Giving encourages People.
Even so, you have done well to share with me in my present difficulty. As you know, you Philippians were the only ones who gave me financial help when I first brought you the Good News and then traveled on from Macedonia. No other church did this. Even when I was in Thessalonica you sent help more than once. Philippians 4:14-16
I bet you’ve gotten a gift that encouraged you! And I bet, you’ve given a gift away and that encouraged you, too.
What happens when I give?
- I stretch my reach.
Paul says “you have been my partners in spreading the Good News about Christ.” Philippians 1:5
When you give, you become an important part of it. We can’t all travel to the mission field. But when you give, you become an important part of the result.
Find out more about The Heart of Christmas Offering here.
- I become more like Jesus.
You are most like Jesus when you give because Jesus gave. He gave His whole life away!
They are being tested by many troubles, and they are very poor. But they are also filled with abundant joy, which has overflowed in rich generosity. 2 Corinthians 2:8
2) My Giving makes a Difference for Eternity.
God doesn’t want something from you, as much as God wants something for you!
I don’t say this because I want a gift from you. Rather, I want you to receive a reward for your kindness. Philippians 4:17
The way to invest in heaven is to invest in people who are going there.
“You should give happily to those in need, always being ready to share with others whatever God has given them. By doing this they will be storing up real treasure for themselves in heaven—it is the only safe investment for eternity!” 1 Timothy 6:18-19 (TLB)
My Giving is a Sacrifice to God.
When Paul wrote this, he was chained up to a Roman guard in a dark prison cell. But he was content!
At the moment I have all I need—and more! I am generously supplied with the gifts you sent me with Epaphroditus. They are a sweet-smelling sacrifice that is acceptable and pleasing to God. Philippians 4:18
Jesus said, “When you did it to one of the least of these my brothers and sisters, you were doing it to me! Matthew 25:40
There are only two kinds of people in the world: Givers and Takers. The happy people are the giving people.
“And this same God who takes care of me will supply all your needs from his glorious riches, which have been given to us in Christ Jesus.” Philippians 4:19
God is my Source
Everything is Supplied.
This is not an excuse for laziness.
- “Those unwilling to work will not get to eat.” 2 Thessalonians 3:10
This doesn’t cover all my wants.
- There’s a big difference between our needs and our greeds.
Jesus is the signer.
Jesus meets all of our needs out of His limitless supply that will never fail.
Questions to Consider:
- What are some things that seem to follow this rule: the more you give of it to more you receive in return?
- What is your definition of contentment? How content are you in life right now?
- Read Luke 6:38. What is the promise of this verse according to Jesus? What area(s) of your life have you given to God? What area(s) do you still need to surrender to Him?
- Read Philippians 4:14-19. What is unique about the church in Philippi according to Paul in this passage? What if anything is Paul looking to gain from the church in Philippi? What step(s) can you take to be content while being generous like the church of Philippi?
- In what ways have you received generously from others? How did you react?
- Read 1 Timothy 6:18-19. In what ways can you be generous in good deeds and sharing with others? How can you and your family live this out?
- What need(s) do you have right now that you need God to meet?